The first step in ridding your home of rats is finding where they are living. Inspection is an important first step in getting rid of rats. Once you know the location of the rats, you can set traps or place bait. Because they are nocturnal— most active at night, rats aren’t often seen in the open during the day. But, it is easy to see signs of their presence. Signs of rat presence include:
- droppings, especially around human or pet food or in or around trash areas.
- noises in the dark, such as scratching sounds from the attic.
- nests or piled nesting materials in hidden areas.
- evidence of gnawing of wires or structural wood.
- burrows around the yard; under the home or outbuildings; or gnawed fruits in trees.
- smudge marks along walls or rodent hairs along paths, in nests, or near food.